Vanderbilt Diagnostic Scale for ADHD Research Note
By Reader's Digest Editors
A brief digest about this topic
Psychologists and other healthcare professionals often use the Vanderbilt Diagnostic Scale for children ages 6 to 12 to help pinpoint academic and behavioral problems. Though it doesn't diagnose ADHD, professionals consider this scale a useful way to measure symptoms and their severity, along with performance in the classroom, home, and in social settings. The Vanderbilt Scale takes 10 minutes to complete, and has versions for parents as well as teachers to use.Fast Facts:
- A school district will often pay for ADHD testing.
- Parents can usually opt to use the school psychologist or a private child psychologist.
- Since different tests cover different aspects of your child's behavior and development, multiple tests will more accurately pinpoint your child's particular challenges.
- Tests used will likely assess personality, problem-solving skills, and intellectual function, in addition to other areas.
- Parents and others close to the child may be interviewed or asked to fill out questionnaires.
pediatrics.aappublications.org — “Clinical Utility of the Vanderbilt ADHD Rating Scale for Ruling Out Comorbid Learning Disorders” View full resource at pediatrics.aappublications.org
www2.massgeneral.org — “The screening tools and rating scales can be used to help measure a young person?s mental health symptoms, and/or measure progress after interventions are put in place at school or at home.” View full resource at www2.massgeneral.org
The Top 3 resources shared on this topic. More resources.
Key stats and trends about this topic
Related on OrganizedWisdom
The Reader's Digest Version health cards were created to provide you with the Reader's Digest Version answers to your health questions: quick, succinct, simple, and 100% reliable. Each card was compiled by the editors of Reader's Digest, one of the world's largest and most trusted brands, based on interviews with doctors and the most current scientific research. Our goal: to help you achieve your best health, the simplest, most direct, most trustworthy ways possible.
These health cards were developed in partnership with OrganizedWisdom.com, where health experts find the tools and inspiration to share their wisdom with the world.