3535 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Other Specialty/Area of Focus
- PhD in Bioengineering
- Medical School
- Graduated from University of Pennsylvania in 1990
- Flaura Koplin Winston, MD, PhD is a board-certified practicing pediatrician, biomechanical engineer, and clinical researcher. She is a Professor of Pediatrics at The University of Pennsylvania and a Senior Scholar at the Leonard Davis Institute. An internationally recognized leader in pediatric trauma research, Dr. Winston is the Founder and Scientific Director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This unique center includes multiple disciplines advancing the safety of children, youths, and young adults through research followed by translation (Research to Action to Impact).
Dr. Winston's primary research focus is traffic injury. She is the Principal Investigator for research funded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Science Foundation, the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, and State Farm Insurance Companies, among others. She has been published in medical and engineering journals and conference proceedings. For her work, Dr. Winston has received awards from many organizations including the American Philosophical Society, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Academy of Pediatrics, Academy Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Emergency Medical Services for Children Program, Joint Commissions on the Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAHO), and the National Quality Forum.
Dr. Winston currently serves as an Associate Editor of the BMJ journal Injury Prevention and has served on committees of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Institute of Medicine, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the International Society of Child and Adolescent Injury Prevention.
Social Media and Site Links
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - Center for Injury Research
- Philadelphia, PA
- MD, PhD
- Hospital Affiliations
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Board Certified: Pediatrics
The American Board of Pediatrics
University of Pennsylvania: 1983
University of Pennsylvania: 1984
University of Pennsylvania: 1989
University of Pennsylvania: 1990
Factors associated with clinically significant head injury in children involved in motor vehicle crashes.Traffic Injury Prevention | December 2010
Authors: Nance, Michael L. Kallan, Michael J. Arbogast, Kristy B. Park, Myung S. Durbin, Dennis R. Winston, Flaura K.
Adolescent drivers'' perceptions of the advantages and disadvantages of abstention from in-vehicle cell phone use.Accident Analysis & Prevention | November 2010
Authors: Hafetz, Jessica S. Jacobsohn, Lela S. Garcia-Espana, J Felipe. Curry, Allison E. Winston, Flaura K.
A practical approach for applying best practices in behavioural interventions to injury prevention.Injury Prevention | April 2010
Authors: Winston, Flaura K. Jacobsohn, Lela
- Site Groups
- Physician, PhD, Active Health Library, Doctor, Pediatrician